Saturday 12 April 2008

First Day of School

Yesterday was our first day of school, 8am to noon. We really enjoyed our teachers. I had requested our teachers from December, but they already had students, so we each had new ones. Mine is a sweet young woman who is a Christian. I enjoy her very much. I'm not sure how much Caleb learned. Most of the time he was throwing paper airplanes at me and his notebook is full of "draw battles". But he had fun and needless to say LOVED his teacher! LOL!

After a wonderful lunch at the school we participated in the activity for the afternoon. We rode a chicken bus to the palace of the first Bishop in Guatemala. I must say I didn't understand a lot, but it was fun to get out and about. We visited a couple of shops to get Guatemalan chocolate. It's much grittier than what we're used to, but has a marvelous flavor.

In the evening we went to Pollo Campero again and the kids played hard on the playground. For some reason, everywhere we go the kids LOVE to chase Caleb! It's quite funny. Marta Alicia seemed sad that the kids wouldn't play with her (for some unknown reason), but was happy to have Caleb join her. After dinner we went to the market for some food. Caleb was getting a gallon of milk out of the cooler and Marta Alicia tried to take it from him. He wouldn't let her and we asked her to stop. She got mad and hit Caleb. When I asked her to say sorry, she flatly stated, "NO!" Eventually she did, but it was a little tense for a few moments. I think the nice thing about the honeymoon phase is that we're given little glimpses of what may be ahead without it all coming at once. It gives a little more time for forethought and strategizing. :)

Marta Alicia was very sad at bedtime because we asked her to sleep in her own bed in the adjoining room to ours (not enough room for us all to fit in one room). (She had already staked out her place in our bed smack in the middle of Tim and I.) As she wimpered and hid her face from me I explained why it was so important (I needed sleep) I rubbed her belly and told her I loved her. She peeked at me a few times from behind her arms and then just drifted off to sleep. Needless to say, it was the best night's sleep for all of us. :)

I will post a few pictures from the activity we went on. What is interesting to me is that I see in pictures what I don't always notice in person. When I downloaded the pictures from the first couple of days I was surprised to see the fear in her eyes. But I don't see it in her eyes in these new pictures. It's so cool! :)

No comments: